Thursday, September 18, 2008

where everybody knows your name


Duncan has been called many names, "drunken' Duncan" and "dumpy Duncan" and my favorite "Why would you want to live in Duncan?" And then there are the people that say, "There is nothing good about Duncan." Well, tonight while I was at the Fall Harvest Festival with my family, I realised that those people who don't love this town like I do, are the very ones who are never at these great events.

Tonight, I couldn't handle being a culinary genius for yet another night, so I rallied my family and took us out to the festival. There was a guy playing guitar and singing, a big barbecue (all local food of course complete with homemade blackberry/rhubarb pie with chocolate ice cream for $2.50), farmers from the valley selling their beautiful vegetables, honey and wool, kids running around laughing and families having a great time. Our boy even got to stand on an old farm pickup circa 1939 and peer through the windows.

I also saw lots of familiar faces. Mums and dads from my son's school, my favorite farmers who I talk to every Saturday at the farmer's market, Marv (my favorite wood chair guy who has to be one of the nicest people in this valley), our local midwives with their families and the guitar player who has a knack for making my girl's toes tap. People are so friendly here, and it is such a great feeling to be a part of a community like this. This is a place where people remember your name and each time you see them at an event, on the street, in the grocery store, they treat you like an old friend.

We had a great dinner, bought some beautiful vegetables, saw some friends and realised that for anyone who still thinks this town is just drunken', they need to come out to events like these, this town is amazing and I am so happy to live here.

No comments: