Sunday, July 27, 2008

Perspective



My son is going through a tough time, which means so am I (at least in parenting him). After what felt like weeks without a break, I took the day off yesterday. The kids stayed with dad and I put myself on the greyhound to Victoria. I had a blissful day of wandering through Munroe's without having to give anyone a rice cake, visiting a friend in James Bay and getting a hair cut, one of my favorite things in the world. As my hairdresser was cutting my hair and talking about her discontent with life, I began to see my life's forest for it's trees. It's easy to forget how blessed we are when we are sleep deprived and running the hamster wheel of chores, groceries, laundry, dishes and back again.

As my hairdresser continued talking about how she wished she could settle down with someone, have a home she felt grounded in and a family to call her own, I realized that I have all those things and I am so blessed. I went to my favoirte place for lunch after, Rebar and had an amazing soba noodle salad, ice tea and chocolate cake all while reading a book that I have been trying to get to for weeks. It was bliss.

When it was time to get back on the greyhound, I felt so renewed, so blessed and ready to come home. We lose perspective so easily, we forget that our complaints sometimes are others desires. Sometimes we need to step away to see those trees in that beautiful forest that boarders our river, just down our very own street.

P.S.

I bought a book for my son and it wasn't until I brought it home and read it to him that I realized it was all about being content with what you had....a great book for kids and adults.

No comments: